Tuesday 16 September 2014

The London Tea Company - Fairtrade Revival

The London Tea Company - Fairtrade Revival

As a company I have always loved TLTC, I've never had a bad brew from them, so when I saw them asking for bloggers to review their new range, I jumped at the chance!

Upon first glance at the literature provided I noticed that most of the old range has gone the way of the dodo being not a Fairtrade product. For example the old White Tea, Elderflower & Apricot blend has been replaced by the new White Tea Pear Tatin, definitely a fair exchange! Both are gorgeous in their own unique way.

In my goodie box I was sent a whole box of London Breakfast & White Tea, Pear Tatin plus 4-5 envelopes of the following: Earl Grey, Sencha Green Tea, Tropical Green Tea, Vanilla Chai, Pure Camomile, Pure Peppermint, Zingy Lemon & Ginger, Raspberry Inferno, Peach & Rhubarb and finally Pure Rooibos!

I'll be reviewing these in the order listed above.


So first up London Breakfast, I haven't ever had a bad breakfast blend but this one is definitely one of my favourites. I found it more sweet than any blend had previously and this was without adding an sugar at all, blended using Assam & Kenyan teas this is a gorgeous brew to start your day but also perfect at any other time. 


Next, White Tea Pear Tatin, this is truly a dessert in a cup. This blend is wonderfully delicate & yet so full of flavour, a perfect way to keep your sweet tooth under control without all the calories. This blend is made up of White Tea, Ginger & Pear Tatin Dessert flavours, I'm quite glad I got a whole box of this as I do believe it's my favourite of the bunch!


Up next, Earl Grey, I believe I've tried almost every mainstream brand blend of Earl Grey & I have to say this one is the most creamy version yet, the Bergamot is intense without being over powering which to me is important as otherwise the Bergamot can dominate & it can be quite unpleasant. Thankfully this blend is anything but, made from a blend of Ceylon & Nilgiri teas with natural Bergamot it's a real winner!


Next Sencha Green Tea, this steamed pure China green tea, is wonderfully delicate & beautifully fresh. It only took a few minutes to brew & had no hint of bitterness that plagues some green teas. My next plan for this little beauty is cold brew it with a slice of lemon to make a fun adult soft drink!


Now for the Tropical Green Tea, this was already an existing flavour in LTC's arsenal and already boasting an organic label. The added bonus of the Fairtrade label already makes it taste better in my head before even opening the bag, and trust me I wasn't disappointed! As I still have some of the original I was able to make an accurate comparison, I found the Fairtrade version more smooth & full of flavour so much so that I may be tempted to relegate my old box to the office cupboard & snaffle a newer one!


The Vanilla Chai, what can I say about this blend other than simply wow? Quite a lot actually, teehee! This chai blend is made using traditional Indian Masala Chai methods & was so creamy I had to double check it was in fact Second Flush Assam & not Rooibos as the texture fooled me into thinking! I have yet to make this into a latte but honestly can't wait to try it out, iced or hot, both I'm sure will be absolutely fantastic!  


The Pure Chamomile, this has got to be the most flavourful & unboring cup of Chamomile tea I've ever had! I have to admit I usually steer clear of Chamomile on its own in a tea as I struggle to enjoy it with any enthusiasm. That said this blend has really converted me, I can really see why people enjoy drinking it & found it really soothing & relaxing and will definitely be treating myself to a box to aid my usually restless nights sleep!


The Pure Peppermint, this is as expected a cut above the rest, theres no hint of bitterness even when accidentally over steeped after getting distracted! The brew is smooth & soothing especially for one who suffers with stomach issues. I plan on icing some of this to enjoy in the afternoons when its usually the worst!


Next up the Zingy Lemon & Ginger, again this has a lot more substance to it than other similar blends I've had, I believe this is down to the added Lemongrass that just gives it that edge on the competitors! A truly wonderful caffeine free boost and no hint of blandness that some blends suffer from, a winner!


Now the sneaky Raspberry Inferno! This beauty has a bit of a kick to it! Complimenting the Raspberry is Fairtrade Hibiscus and the cause of that kick, a touch of fiery chilli! Now I've drunk this blend's predecessor and found it too spicy (curse my low spice tolerance!) but this blend has the balance just right for my sensitive palette! 


And next the Peach & Rhubarb Flavoured Fruit Infusion, as with the Raspberry Inferno the base of this blend is Fairtrade Hibiscus, to this is added the Peach & Rhubarb flavours. This is blend to me is sitting in the garden with a good book & Yasmine at my feet, it just screams summer! Hot or cold this blend pure sunshine, in fact a dash of Pimms & some chopped fruit and it could add fun to any event!


And finally the Pure Rooibos! This blend has come from the Cederberg Mountains in South Africa's Western Cape! I just love Rooibos! It's so versatile & perfect any time of the day, now I take my Rooibos with milk generally as a rule, this Rooibos is just so sweet & creamy! The richness of flavour invokes a very satisfied sigh from my lips! Who needs a stress ball, all I need is a cup of this!

To wrap, this range has been a pure delight to sample, every one of them has been a winner. I have been recommending them to my friends & colleagues who have been drawn in simply by the scent of each blend!

Now my lovely tea folks, if you wish to try any of this range for yourself, please make your way over to their website and just for you on all full price lines for your first order if you type in londontea you will receive 20% off! Isn't that fab?

What are you waiting for? Get that kettle on!

Coming soon: My review of The London Tea Company's new pyramid range!   

In the meantime please check out their Facebook or Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment